Are you blind or do you have low vision?
Have you worked within the last 5 years or are you seeking work?
Do you use accommodations, for example assistive technology, reverse contrast, additional lighting, or braille?
Do you live in the United States?
If you said “yes” to these questions then the AFB wants to invite you to fill out an accessible online survey. Specific survey topics include:
- Your current employment (including self-employment)
- Seeking employment if you’re not currently employed and are looking
- How you have learned to use assistive technology or tools
- The hiring and onboarding process
- Training provided by your employer
- Working with IT staff
- The social-emotional impact of visual impairment
In addition, there are sections for some participants based on their situation including:
- Experiencing changes in vision in the last 5 years
The survey should take about 30-45 minutes to complete. You will have the opportunity to enter a raffle to win one of 15 $25 Amazon gift cards. The AFB will use what they learn from this survey to:
- Help inform technology companies so they can improve their products for accessibility
- Share with vocational rehabilitation (VR) professionals the challenges and solutions workers use, so they can better prepare their clients for work
- Inform IT and HR staff so they can better meet the needs of those applying for and obtaining employment
- Give individuals with vision loss information to ensure they can have a better understanding of how those like themselves use technology to be successful and how they overcome challenges they experience.
If you have any questions or need more information please contact Dr. L. Penny Rosenblum, AFB Director of Research, email@example.com or 202- 202-469-6837. The survey will close on Sunday evening February 28 at 11:59 Pacific time.